What is The Automatic Museum Guide?
The Automatic Museum Guide is a revolutionary technology that empowers museums and galleries to create immersive multimedia experiences, engaging visitors through narration, guidance and more. Use cutting edge location-technologies to enable audio, video, AR and other content to be triggered automatically as guests move through the space.
How is the app used?
The Automatic Museum Guide app can be downloaded from the App Store / Play Store and used on a visitor’s personal mobile device or via rental devices provided by the museum. Guest can then choose their desired language, download the tour content, and enjoy offline.
Location-based content triggering
The Automatic Museum Guide works both indoor and outdoor. Outdoor content is triggered using maps and GPS, and indoor exhibitions are enabled using floor maps and BLE Beacons or UWB, depending on the requirements.
The app detects where a visitor is located and when the visitor approaches exhibits, the app automatically plays a corresponding guide in the form of audio, video, game content, AR, text or HTML content.
Floor map only or no location-triggering
Indoor exhibitions can also be created without the use of location-technologies. In this instance a floor map graphic can be uploaded to the Locatify CMS with clickable “stations”. Stations can represent specific exhibit pieces, areas or rooms.
If no floor map is used, the exhibit locations (stations) will be displayed in a list order which the guest can play at any time.
Get your own Branded App!
Enhance your museum visitor experience, collect useful data, save on costs and serve a wider range of customers with multilingual content. White-label templates make it quick an easy to get your own branded app: customise loading page, banner/skin, app icon, logo etc. Once you have your app, Locatify’s simple drag and drop tour builder enables curators to create and manage tour content anytime.
Try for free!
Everybody can create and test their own games and guides using the Locatify Creator CMS and generic TurfHunt test-app free of charge.
Simply sign up for Locatify Creator CMS and download the TurfHunt app to Android or iOS. For indoor tours and games you will need a venue floor map and if using automatic content triggering; iBeacons or UWB hardware.
- Branded app increases online agency and visibility of brand
- Offline content installed app on the device does not require internet access to operate
- Multilingual content allows visitors to listen, watch or read descriptions in various languages
- Indoor and Outdoor exhibits supported all in one app via BLE beacons, UWB and GPS
- Venue map so visitors know where they are at any time with access to information about objects in different rooms
- Indoor Navigation helps your guests find what they’re looking for with ease
- News and announcements can be delivered to visitors directly through the app
- Treasure hunt games support active learning and encourage people to explore the venue
- Map Markers allow for promotion of local stores or locations of interest outside of your museum
- Coupons to advertise and offer discounts for cafes, shops and other points of interest on the museum map
- Collect visitor details with optional login page
- Admin Mode for staff to follow up on beacon’s activation
Additional revenue and simplified procedures for museums:
- Improve the customer experience leading to positive reviews and increased visitor numbers
- Increased brand exposure and ability to extend the museum experience after the visitor leaves the venue
- Sell additional digital audio tours
- Increase sales for Gift Shop/Restaurant via integration into the tour
- Visitor analytics and visitor traffic heat maps
- Identify key attractions and measure visitor frequency for various exhibits
- Reduce costs and time by implementing technology that is easily updated as exhibits change, meaning easier display set-ups and lower costs of installation
- Simple installation as the app does not require any excessive work and can therefore be done fast. BLE transmitters are installed on the walls and do not need external power supply. Because of the small size they also do not affect the appearance of the museum’s rooms
Increase customer satisfaction and engagement:
- Interpret the story with ease as the visitors approach exhibits and artefacts the story is told through multimedia
- Simplified guidance as museum curators do not have to rely on signs and MP3 players to deliver information to visitors
- Easy to use app – The guides are played automatically when visitor approaches the pre-set exhibits and artefacts, and doesn’t require visitor to press any buttons
- Embrace the smartphone culture and engage audiences as innovative technology is adopted across various industries to increase customer satisfaction
Included in the package:
- Software: Powerful yet simple to use content management system (CMS) to create, publish and manage in-app content and locations easily and in a time efficient manner
- Branded Automatic Museum Guide App published to Locatify Google Play and App Store accounts.
- Support: Professional support including a reasonable service-level agreement (SLA)
- Hardware (Optional) : Locatify can supply affordable Android Devices
- Indoor Location Technology : For automatic triggering of content, either iBeacons or UWB hardware are required. iBeacons and UWB Kits can be purchased from Locatify
- Onsite Installation (Optional) : Certified local installation partners including warranty or do it yourself with assistance of training material
- Indoor Activation and Venue: To determine the visitors location indoors we use industry standard Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Beacons and cutting edge Ultra-Wideband (UWB).
- BLE iBeacons: Are most suitable for museums which require precision of 2.5m positioning accuracy. BLE iBeacons are attached to specific locations throughout the venue and connect with mobile devices to communicate the users location or proximity to a specific location and to trigger content. iBeacons can be used both indoors and outdoors and can be battery or USB powered. Installation is quick, and requires minimal maintenance.
- Ultra-Wideband (UWB): Provides much more precision compared with iBeacons. UWB provides positioning data with 20cm accuracy in a 3D space) and positioning updates every 100ms. Ultra-Wideband Anchors are placed in the corners of a room and guests are provided a UWB locator tag (Wristband, Lanyard or attached to devices). When guests move through the museum their eacct location is tracked and is used to trigger content at the right time and place. Anchors are easily installed in less than 1 hour and require minimal maintenance. Anchors can be battery powered, USB powered or PoE.
- Which technology is most suitable: This depends on the accuracy required of the location technology, the layout of your museum and the need to equip guests with a UWB locator tag. BLE Beacons are best suited for smaller rooms or proximity based content triggering where 2.5m accuracy is acceptable. UWB is suitable where high precision is required or the museum has large open spaces. Both technologies can be combined to cover complex exhibition spaces.
- Outdoor Activation and Map: To determine visitors location outdoor we use Global Positioning System (GPS) and there is no additional installation required
“The Locatify system makes it simple to create and publish your own tours, add updates and new content as projects develop.”
Andrea Easey, Interpretation Editor
“Locatify developed an audio guide for Eldheimar, which is a very important part of the museum. The cooperation with Locatify is very good, the company is enthusiastic and professional.”
Kristín Jóhannesdóttir, Director
“The interactive map, that we made for the Netherlands-Bauhaus expo in Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, shows the visitor a hidden layer of interconnectivity between artists in this art period. Thanks to the clever and easy to use mapping system and customisation services of Locatify we were able to realise the challenge of making hundreds of stories and images associated, interactive and ultimately: accessible.”
Kuba Szutkowski, Director, Studio Maslow